Monday, May 19, 2008

Given The Dog A Bone


After eating a big slice of humble pie on Saturday, Mongo went out Sunday morning for an easy training ride. I didn't want to go too hard because I needed my legs for tonight's weekly Smyrna Bicycles Classic.

On the back side of an eventless 40 mile ride...I got my mojo back.

I was passed, this time only going about 19 or 20, by another dude on a tri bike. Only this time, I knew he stood no chance.

He was riding a Scattante (Performance house brand with a fancy font) with clip-on aero bars, and his saddle was too high. But he was pedaling his little heart out as he went by me.

There's a move perfected by my buddy Boonen that is designed to crush the spirit of any weaker rider or poseur. All you need to do is ride closely at your opponents figurative left rear quarter panel. This way you show them that without drafting you can match their speed, and by never coming around, they will inevitably speed up to the point of collapse. It's kind of a douchebag move but sometimes its fun to watch an opponent crumble.

At the end of a futile mile or two, Scattante Boy turned around and told me he "Didn't mind trading pulls". Isn't that convenient!

I told him thanks, but that I was on a time constraint...and then I dropped the hammer.

No comments: