Thursday, September 17, 2009

All Fun And Games...Until You Break A Spoke


Mongo has been riding great lately. Though I've been working more than ever, the combination of diet and specific training has allowed me to make a noticeable improvement over the last few weeks.

Monday was the inaugural ride in the 23/2300 Hammerfest Fall Series. Each week until the time change will be treated like a Mini-Classic, with individual winners each week based on total points for the ride. The only way this benefits Mongo is if I stumble across an old cooler marked "Puerto", and somehow the contents of said cooler enhance Mongo's ability to perform on a bicycle. If that doesn't happen, I'll have to be happy to be in the mix during the Sprint and continue to improve on the KOM.
After the 'Fest on Monday, when I was riding home in near darkness, going downhill at 40+ mph, I broke a spoke in my rear wheel...It was a little sketchy there for a moment! Luckily, it was non-driveside, and the wheel didn't go way out of true.

My point is this...I love my Ksyriums...but...each model uses different bladed spokes, and they really aren't interchangeable or compatible with each other. Mavic does this on purpose, and then makes it difficult to get the correct type/length without buying in bulk. They know they have you...and they know that you know they have you.

No comments: