Thursday, January 29, 2009

Hey Mister Golden Deal...


Mongo is getting sick of writing about negative things. It's so easy to point out what's wrong, but what is right in the world goes largely unnoticed. Smug indifference sometimes needs to be tempered with cold hard truth.

After stopping by the shop today and chatting for a while with Boonen, "Doo Doo" Brown, Jello, and Alp d'Huez Mike, I put in a quick 25 on Ol' Lightnin'. I've been dragging a cold around with me for the past week, so my energy level and motivation are zero.

For some unknown reason, after I limped up the final climb into my driveway, I decided to change clothes and take a few runs in the backcountry on the fresh pow. I threw on my Vans and some jeans, mounted the Alva, and hit the slopes.

On the way back up the hill from one of my more technical runs...I met Hank. Though it was the first time we had officially met, Hank and I had seen each other dozens of times. Even exchanging a wave or a nod now and then. Until today, Hank was always on his front porch watching as I rolled by at high speed. I never knew whether he was shy, scared, or just unsociable. Today though, as I walked by his house, he rolled out to greet me.

I have to be honest, I really didn't know what to expect. I was really just shocked he was approaching me. At first he asked me my name and why I wasn't wearing a helmet...then he asked if I'd ever been hurt and how fast I could get going. He then told me how much fun it looked like I was having every time he saw me go by... and how much he envied me. I was floored!

You see, what I haven't told you is this. I learned today that Hank is 86 years old and a Veteran of WWII. He was in the Pacific theatre and fought at Guadalcanal. Because of war injuries, he is paralyzed from the waist down and confined to a motorized wheelchair...and he envied me!

God bless you, Hank!...You deserve the perfect shred.

No comments: