Sunday, January 4, 2009

Smackdown '09: "The Refreshening"


Though Mongo had a strong ride on the 1st with Boonen and California Clay, not to be confused with Georgia Clay, I had yet to partake in my first smackdown of 2009.
Winter has not been berry berry good to Mongo. I have managed to remain consistent with my Ben & Jerry's intake, but my cycling output has been spotty at best. Let's just say that I'm using my club-fit jerseys a whole lot more these days. Weather, work, laziness...have all played a part in retro-shaping my body, but I have run out of excuses and it's time to get down to business.
I saddled up Li'l Pony Express this morning with the expectation of doing a quick 30 in the drizzly, crappy weather. Instead, I did a warm up 20 with the legend herself, Diane, and when she kept going and I turned around, I got tangled in a four-way showdown that lasted fifteen miles.
1. Smug older guy on a Cannondale Tri bike w/ ill-fitting ten year old aero helmet. 2. Douchey weekend-warrior on a Litespeed w/ equally douchey obscure corporate kit. 3. Scrappy out of his element guy on a Novara w/ clip-on aero bars. 4. Mongo
With all the water and crap on the ground, Mongo and LPE got dirtier than a Tory Lane DP scene... but we never backed off. At the end of the ride, Mongo crossed the line alone.
My legs hurt and I'm really tired...It feels great!

No comments: