Thursday, July 30, 2009

Remember When You Were Young


Though Mongo is an admitted sap for schmaltzy, sentimentality, even I was surprised by how moved I was watching the ESPN special on Tony Hawk...It was called "Homecoming".

It was the first time that I can remember that skaters of my generation were both featured and heard from in person on a mainstream network.

Mullen spoke...and was goofily charming. Caballero spoke...and was elegant and wise. Mountain spoke...and was the voice of the people. Mongo didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I was overwhelmed by the past and present of what skateboarding has meant, and still means, to me.

Finally...there is Tony Hawk himself. He is a man to be respected both as a skater and as a human being. There is no one who has meant more to both the "art" and the "business" of skateboarding. He is without a doubt, one of the five greatest skateboarders of all time.

No comments: