Sunday, July 12, 2009

Street Cred...Copperheads...& Chainsaws


Mongo stopped by the shop today after my ride and chatted with some of the fellas. Boonen, Snow Bunny, Doo Doo...all were there. Of course, we talked about the Tour so far, as well as the controversial Cat-5 race that some of the boys raced in yesterday. Sketchy yellow-line rules, as well as a huge crash, prevented the team from dominating. Our own "Michael Rasmussen", Alpe d'Huez Mike, was the highest placed finisher on the day.

As for my ride, I put in a strong 50 miles with an 18+ average speed. I was also wearing my full team kit. Mongo doesn't usually don the "colors" without riding with other teammates, but I felt like representing. Sunday is always a good day at the Silver Comet Trail for Mongo to feel good about himself as a cyclist...Monday always brings my game back to reality at the 23/2300 Hammerfest.

After dominating my solo ride all day and passing at least fifty cyclists, who I would swear under oath were all making good progress on their Huffy's and Pacific's, Mongo rolled through the parking lot at the trailhead. It was there that Mongo felt the power of what it means to belong to a "gang".

As I coasted along, I heard a couple of guys say this about me. "That dude rides for Smyrna Bicycles...Those guys are all really fast!" Wow...I had street cred! I was immediately as fast as our fastest rider because of our kit. Now I know what it feels like to be Gregory Rast. Oh...I almost ran over the biggest Copperhead snake I have ever seen in my life.

Mongo spent the rest of the afternoon cutting down trees and branches, and generally straining muscles that I forgot I had. This should suit me well as the foundation of all the excuses for my bad performance on Monday night.

No comments: