Monday, March 1, 2010

The Weekend Wrap Up


Mongo is tired...and old! "Cat 5 Domination" training is finally catching up with me. One of the unfortunate downsides to being an older, "high-performance" athlete, is that no matter how much you might wish otherwise, your body doesn't recover as quickly as it did back in the "old days"....And by "old days", I mean some romanticized time in the past when Mongo was a young, finely tuned athlete with amazing recovery skills...in both partyin' and athletin'!

That being said, Mongo put in a strong weekend of riding. Starting last Thursday through this afternoon, Mongo is looking at about 200 miles of serious training...all on the Sub-19. And it's been really windy the entire time. There's something masochistically enjoyable about battling a headwind...It is an invisible rival that pushes you and questions your dedication all at once.

Mongo is a little disappointed about not doing the Enemy Bike Shop Group Ride on Saturday morning. It was just too cold! I had flashbacks of my last time on this ride when I was under dressed and almost froze to my bike, and since none of my teammates were going, I decided to pass and let it warm up a little. Later that day Mongo did 50 miles on the SCT at an 18+ average. It was a good fat burning, high pace, cadence ride.

Yesterday, Mongo, dressed in full 2010 SBCT kit, went out looking for a smackdown...it didn't really happen. An old guy in good shape on a Litespeed passed me after I had passed him, but after a few hundred yards of quarter-panel drafting, I did my best Mellow Johnny/Pistolero "lookback", and attacked on the hills. Other than that, it was an uneventful, but windy, 40 miles.

No comments: