Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Number Of The Beast


Yesterday, Mongo looked straight into the face of evil...and to prove his point, evil was riding a flat bar, Trek, road-hybrid.

Then, of course, there were the mountain bike pedals, the full sized frame pump, the SKS rear fender, way too many reflectors, the non cycling shorts and sweatshirt, and finally, the baseball cap turned around backwards...and this guy almost kicked my ass!

It had to be a sign of just how out of cycling shape I have gotten over the winter. Last year's non fat slob Mongo would never have let a dude like this spend one minute in front of me, but this time it took almost five miles of non-drafting pacing to wear him out. I must admit, his speed was impressive for a douchebag on a Trek, but my performance was unacceptable.

My only excuse was that I had no food in my stomach(on purpose), my tires were under-inflated(on purpose), and I was on the homeward half of a long ride. That being said, it was the final straw. The new season is almost upon us and it's time to get serious.

My honeymoon of eating ice cream, cookies, pizza, and anything else performance reducing is over. My pants are tight, my energy level is low, and my pride is damaged...these are dark times.

Normally in this situation I would ask myself what would Ned do?(WWND) The thing is, I need a quick fix so I'm going a different route...What would Jan do?(WWJD)

Does anyone know the area code for Panama?

1 comment:

Sean Lewis said...

retro body is so out this season! go and get em mongo!