Sunday, November 8, 2009

What The F**k Is Wrong With People ?


Everyone seems to think or take a bizarre pride in the fact that the city or town they live in is populated by the worst drivers in the country. It just so happens that statistics seem to validate this premise for Mongo's little neck of the woods. I take no pride in this revelation, because I have to deal with it every day. In no particular order, I see the three main problems as being cell phones, SUV's, and women.

When Mongo rides the three miles on the road from my house to the SCT, the first mile or so is the most fun. It's a slightly rolling downhill where I can maintain the posted speed limit of 35 mph. I still ride a tight line close to the curb, but anyone who passes me is definitely exceeding the speed limit.

Today I got passed by "a woman on a cell phone driving an SUV". She came around me on a dangerous downhill corner and immediately put on her turn signal and started hitting the brakes to make a left into a neighborhood. Had there been any oncoming traffic for her to wait for, I would have hit the SUV at at least 30 mph. At most, she saved three seconds by going around me.

Anyway...I got to the trail, ran into the "Gemma" (Sons of Anarchy reference) of Smyrna Bicycles in the parking lot, and then she and I had an enjoyable and leisurely 25 mile ride. Tomorrow I'm back to hill interval training.

No comments: