Monday, March 7, 2011

Sneaking Up On Me Like A Pygmy Ninja: It's Hammerfest Time






















It was kind of a crappy weekend of cycling for Mongo. The weather decided to be cold, wet, and shitty, and I only managed to get in a legitimate training ride today. On Saturday it rained all day, but I was able to do a solid hour of intervals on the trainer in the garage. It was kind of cool to have the the garage door open and the rain pouring down while I cranked the music and stared at myself in the mirror. Sunday dried out, but the temperature never crested forty five degrees and the wind was blowing a solid 15-25 mph, so even though I tooled around for twenty miles, it wasn't enjoyable or beneficial. Finally, today, Mongo put in a strong circuit on the 23/2300 Hammerfest course.

A week from today marks the return of the SBMNR. It's going to be a good season. Everyone's faster and stronger, I'm sure there'll be new talent in the peloton, and as of right now, everyone's even. Mongo is approaching this season differently. I'm much more in tune with my strengths and weaknesses on the bike, and unfortunately, this ride doesn't really suit my strengths at all...but that's okay. I'm not basing my successes and failures on this ride alone. I've put in the work over the Winter and have seen dramatic improvements in my overall fitness on the bike, but as soon as I hit a course with slow transitions and steep, fast, climbs...it's over! But...Mongo is getting better, and I'll be looking to shake things up in the peloton where I can.

No comments: