Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Not Prepared Whatsoever: Let's Do This

















It's time for Mongo to HTFU and enter the world of Cyclocross! This Saturday I will be starting, and hopefully completing, my first race in this quirky discipline. For those of you unfamiliar with the sport, don't worry, you are not alone. It is populated mostly by Europeans, ex-mountain bikers, second-tier roadies, and dedicated amateurs with way too much disposable income.

Fun fact...Cyclocross has the highest travel time to race time ratio of all the human powered, wheeled sports. True artisans of this mystical endeavour think nothing about pre-dawn travel in life-threatening cold for hours at a time just to be able to race their guts out for forty five minutes or less...Sweet!

All kidding aside, Mongo is "kinda" looking forward to it. My category will have so many riders in it that if I don't get off the line with my patented, "Shirley Muldowney" holeshot, then the best I can hope for is finishing in the top half of the field. We'll see what happens. At least I haven't been riding at all in the past eight days! So I've got that going for me...which is nice.

No comments: