Friday, July 18, 2008

Off The Front End Of The Main Field


Yesterday, Mongo had one of the most f***ed up days in my long and glorious solo-ride career...I'm not kidding!

After a nice seven mile warmup over rolling terrain, a bee flew in my helmet and stung me on the head. I pulled over, removed the bee, and then realized that it hurt like shit! Sucking up the pain of cigarette butts being extinguished on my scalp, I rode on.

Stopping for a B&J ice cream bar along the way not only soothed the sting, but I also crossed paths with my opponent for the afternoon. Litespeed/Reynolds carbon aero wheels/Yellow jersey/Douchey and smug. He took off while I was enjoying the ice cream, and got about two minutes on me.

Normally, I'd go into great detail about how I chased him down, battled, and eventually pulled away...not today. Even though all of that did happen, that's not the good part of the story.

Here it is...On the way back home, I got stung twice on the leg at the same time by more bees, lost control of the bike, went off the road, flipped head first over the handlebars, smashed my face into the ground, and for good measure, punctured my left knee on a sharp rock...How was your day?

I look like I was on the losing end of a fight, but it could have been really bad...I'll be back!

No comments: