Thursday, May 14, 2009

Canines And Controversy At 80 PSI


Well...it all comes down to next Monday. The final 23/2300 Hammerfest of the Spring Series will "not" be a ceremonial ride.

Though first place has been wrapped up for weeks by the cyborg known as Clay, second and third, as well as sixth and seventh are still up for grabs.

Mongo lost control of sixth place this week when an untimely flat caused me to complete most of the loop with 80 psi in my rear tire. I'm not saying it made a huge difference but...I normally run 140 psi in the rear. I still rode strong and had an impressive Gert Steegmans-style leadout that put me in the mix on the Sprint. This is where the controversy comes in...

The points system in the Spring Series is a lot like NASCAR. Which means nobody really understands it, but consistency and "showing up" count for a great deal. Mongo has used this to his advantage in his battle with Snow Bunny. I thought I was sitting pretty with three bonus points in my pocket and a one point lead, but SB managed to get three points back on me this week.

The KOM point was legit, but after drafting me for the second week in a row and then outkicking me for points in the Sprint, two huge dogs ran into the road causing most people to let up. SB took advantage of the opportunity, ignored everyone's safety, and weaseled his way into fourth place...and two points ahead of Mongo for sixth on GC. Now, with my three bonus points, Mongo is going into the last Hammerfest with only a one point lead.

"Pack a lunch, Snow Bunny...It's gonna be a long day!!!"

No comments: