Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Bonefishing On The Flats


Mongo was lucky enough to spend some of his childhood growing up in The Bahamas. As you can imagine, water activities consumed much of my time. Scuba diving, sailing, fishing...I did it all. I reference this because I encountered a sound the other day that brought me full circle back to my days on the water.

On the Monday group ride there was a guy riding a Kona CX bike with King hubs. I rolled out behind him, admiring his rig, and then
I heard the sound for the first time.

Chris King hubs, when they freewheel, sound just like 8lb test fishing line being stripped off a spinning reel. It's not a purposeful clicking noise, but more like a whine. And as we all know, whining gets really annoying after a while.

These are some sweet, high-quality, "expensive" hubs, but for Mongo, I like my cheese without the whine.

No comments: