Saturday, May 1, 2010

Bonus Coverage: The Friday Ride


It's been an interesting last ten days or so of cycling. Since the "Jack Incident", Mongo has broken a spoke on the Sub-18, had several successful smackdowns on LPE, put in a solid effort at the last 23/2300 Hammerfest, and shadowed two collegiate racers (Georgia Tech) at 26 mph for about ten miles. So far this Spring I've been relatively happy with the fruits of my "Cat 5 Domination" training. As always, my lack of discipline with my diet keeps me from my ultimate performance goals.

Mongo made a rare appearance yesterday at the Smyrna Bicycles Friday Night Ride. Usually I ride LPE, since the pace is slower and and it's more challenging, but I'm still getting used to the gear ratios on the compact cranks so I took the Sub-18.

It was a pretty quick group, with "Boonen" and "MC-Lean" as my competition for the final sprint. But since "Boonen" was racing a Crit today, he didn't mix it up. So Mongo, "MC-Lean", and "Daryl/Darnell/Darell" sorted it out, with the young MC pulling away from me at the end. Mongo's top end speed and sprinting speed were good...but as we all know, it's about how fast you go up.

No comments: