Monday, May 24, 2010

A Cold Hard Look: The Monday Ride


As I was pedaling along on the cool-down portion of the 23/2300 Hammerfest, chatting with "Lieutenant" Dan, I came to the realization that I've been sucking lately. Though I have been battling some sort of cold/flu for a couple of weeks, and my overall strength has been down, tonight's effort on the 'Fest was poor because of my lack of focus on training.

Mongo made great strides over the Winter and Spring with my commitment to a reasonable diet and of course, my very successful "Cat 5 Domination Training Method"...but I have lost my intensity as the season has gone along.

In a different world, Mongo could get away with just doing base miles, minimal hard training, and then just show up on race day and be competitive. Unfortunately, the crew I roll with is fast and strong...and getting better all the time.

I think some more specific climbing and Criterium training is just what the doctor ordered.

No comments: