Thursday, September 16, 2010

Occam's Razor: Mongo Catches A Break


Anyone who's been a cyclist for any length of time has encountered mysterious noises emanating from their bike. And for those of us who pride ourselves on bike maintenance and strong mechanical knowledge of our machines, these ticks and creaks and pings can drive you crazy.

It rarely occurs to most bike mechanics to check the simplest and most logical source of the noise. Why, you might ask? Well...because it "never" is. A bike frame is a virtual sound system for unwanted static. A headset creak could sound like it's coming from the bottom bracket, and a loose seatpost noise you might swear is coming from your spokes. On a well maintained bicycle, it is always assumed that the problem is more elusive.

At the 23/2300 Hammerfest on Monday, when I wasn't struggling not to get dropped, Mongo noticed a clicking that was not only annoying as f**k, but that I was sure was coming from the BB or the chain/chainring interface. It's about time to change out my cassette and chain, so after I eliminated the BB as the problem, I resigned myself to the fact that I'd have to put up with the noise until these components were replaced.

Just for shits and giggles, before I went on my training ride today I greased and re-installed my Look Keo Carbon pedals. And guess what?...The noise is gone! Go figure.

No comments: