Monday, October 18, 2010

No One Ever Excused His Way To Success: The Monday Ride


Mongo woke up today knowing that I would probably have a sub-par ride this evening at the 23/2300 Hammerfest. I had an annoying twinge in my back from some heavy lifting on Saturday...I did a fast 45 miles yesterday, including an "epic" smackdown with a Look 695...And, I only got in two days of training over the past week. All of these things, plus the fact that I just wasn't "feeling it", led to my self-fulfilling prophecy.

On a serious note, "Former Hammerfest Champion" Clay had a bad crash as he was contesting the sprint at the top of the earliest, and hardest climb of the ride. This set a bad tone for the rest of the circuit. Two people stayed behind with Clay as the rest of us continued on. My legs got cold during the fifteen minute delay, and then I subsequently threw my chain on the next climb and had to dismount... and of course got dropped. My motivation from that point on was low.

I've been riding well lately and am really working on losing some pounds, so I won't read too much into my bad performance today...But it still sucked!

No comments: