Thursday, October 21, 2010

Power To Weight Ratio: They Might Be On To Something

Today was one of those "look in the mirror" kind of days on the bike. I will preface this by saying that Mongo went 50.2 miles, door to door from the house, at an average speed of 19.2 mph. I rode with teammates, "Stephen King's "Thinner"" Tom, and "I Snuck Out Of The House, Please Don't Tell My Wife" Steven.

Once again I am troubled by the fact that...I am getting older and my window for "Cat 5 Domination" is closing. I am surrounded by mostly younger and quicker friends and teammates who are improving as fast or faster than I am. Also, the eight hundred pound gorilla in the room actually is an eight hundred pound gorilla.

The "only" way I'm going to become the racer I think I should be is to lose at least twenty pounds of fat without losing any of my muscle mass or density. All of Mongo's self-deprecating fat jokes aside, this would actually be a tough task. I don't know if I'm built that way or, if truth be told, and it is, I want to be. The diet and lifestyle change would have to be dramatic...and what's the payoff?

No comments: