Thursday, January 13, 2011

Uphill In The Snow And Ice...Both Ways

"Veronica and I are trying this new fad called uh, jogging. I believe it's jogging or yogging. it might be a soft j. I'm not sure but apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild." (Ron Burgundy) 

Mongo has been trapped at home for a few days now. The fun wore off very quickly. Laying around and doing nothing is only good if you have the option of going out and doing something. Too much of any one thing always gets old quickly. The fact that I haven't been outside on a bike since Saturday is really bothering me the most.

Today I decided that I was going to get out of the house and get some exercise. I briefly toyed with the idea of taking the F600 out on the icy, crusty, slushy roads at about 40 psi. I figured my Ned Overend skills would carry me through. Ultimately, I decided against riding...not because of danger, but because of the hours I would have to spend cleaning the salt, sand, and road grime off my bike. So instead, I laced up my Timberlands and went on an "extreme" six mile walk.

Let me just say this...walking six miles on unstable, treacherous, terrain in hiking boots is easily the equivalent of a two mile power-walk at the mall with the ladies from the "Home"...while wearing Skechers Shape-Ups

Mongo powered up to the shop and chatted with "I Crashed But At Least I Finished" Tom, and "Series Leader...For Now" MC-Lean. Since absolutely no one was out riding the trail, for obvious reasons, the highlight of my short stay was the Fed Ex delivery of Tom's new, Look Carbon cyclocross pedals. Which are pretty sweet, by the way.

As much as I was enjoying being out of the house, I knew I had an hour of hoofing ahead of me, so I cut my stay short and headed back home. My biggest surprise on the way was that someone actually pulled up next to me and asked if I needed a ride. This kind of friendliness and concern only occurs during natural disasters and bad, teen horror movies. Of course, I declined...but had the person offering been a "lady" rather than a creepy old man, things might have been different.

No comments: