Saturday, August 8, 2009

Mongo's Week In Cycling: The Sucking


For nearly seven days now, Mongo has been feeling out of whack! I'm pretty sure it's because of over-exertion, under-hydration, and the late arrival of the brutal Summer heat...but the possibility still exists, and I am investigating, that someone slipped me a slow-acting, timed-release, energy-sapping, "Roofie".

Though I am unsure on exactly why one of the bevy of European Supermodels that I hang out with would drug me, because I'm always up for a romp, the effects on my cycling have been profound.

Monday's 23/2300 Hammerfest had the potential to be a good ride for Mongo. All the big guns were there, and I thought I was feeling ok. After the first climb, I knew this was not the case. It didn't help that during the ride the peloton suffered five flat tires, a bent chain, and a broken cleat...which resulted in multiple stoppages and cold muscles. I wish I could blame these things for my poor performance, but I knew they were just adding insult to injury. I was feeling so out of kilter, that I decided to lead out the Sprint portion of the 'Fest a mere mile and a half from the line. Obviously...that didn't work!

My next day on the bike was Thursday. I decided to do a solo 45 at a medium pace to get my legs back under me. I still felt crappy...plus...I developed a sweet creak in my bottom bracket. Mongo freakin' hates random bike noises! I pride myself on keeping my fleet well tuned and maintained...and quiet. As you can imagine, feeling like s**t and listening to distressed metal on every downstroke did not make for an enjoyable ride. On a positive note, that night Mongo had a nice meal, watched a movie, and had hot, sweaty, sex with a really cool chick...which made me feel even worse on Friday.

Yesterday afternoon Mongo went up to the shop and fixed my noise problem. Though I was still feeling crappy, I decided to do the Friday Ride. This is intended to be an easy, social ride for beginners and newcomers to group riding. It's a twenty mile loop on the Silver Comet Trail that's supposed to be at a 15-17 mph average. Of course, this didn't happen. The only people that showed up were stronger riders, and after the first dude on a Cervelo TT bike passed us...it was on! I believe I finished the ride with a 19.56 mph average.

After I limped another three miles home, I showered, had a quick bite, and went to bed at 9:45. I haven't gone to bed that early, with the intention of sleeping, in I don't know how long. Anyway, today I woke up feeling well rested but still very weak. I think I'm going to take the day off the bike and do a little cruising on the skateboard instead. Tomorrow I'll be back taking on the "weekend warriors" and "parking lot poseurs" in preparation for Monday's Hammerfest.

No comments: