Thursday, October 29, 2009

Fartlek: Bringin' It..."Swedish Style"


As I have referenced many times, Mongo is extremely lucky to live in a neighborhood, and be surrounded by neighborhoods, that provide excellent hills for both skateboarding(downhill) and cycling(uphill). Unfortunately, most of the time I take the easy way out and only use the skateboarding option...with some moderately paced uphill walking thrown in for good measure.

Today, Mongo started what I hope will turn into a habit over the Winter and beyond. I did thirty minutes of high intensity climbing, in both the standing and seated positions, while using a variety of gear ratios. No matter what my cadence was, my output stayed the same. My Max-HR was 175, and my Avg-HR was 142...Exactly where I want to be after any intense ride, long or short.

I really think shorter, multi-cadence, high intensity rides are going to do more for me during the cold months than my usual training fodder. We shall see...

No comments: