Thursday, October 22, 2009

Twenty Six Inches Of Smackdown: If The Tip Doesn't Kill you...


Mongo had an interesting past week of cycling. It started in earnest on Saturday morning when new guy, "Enthusiastic" Dan, and I put in a fast forty miles in some cold weather and blustery winds. Several attempts were made to pass us but we reeled them all back in. It's amazing how a very windy day can change everything.

At about four miles to go, a serious tri-bastard on a P4 with 808's,(Full disk in the rear) jumps us and takes off. I took off after him...Dan got dropped. I maxed out at 32 mph catching and passing Mr. 808. I held 25-26 for about three miles until he gave up at the line. My HR was about 175, but it was a sweet win.

The following morning Mongo left Ol' Lightnin' in the barn and saddled up LPE. If I'm feeling strong, which I was, the Sunday morning ride can very satisfying on the mt. bike. The usual Cervelo, Litespeed, and Trek smackdowns carry much more weight when the victims see that the source of their humiliation is a seventeen year old rig driven by a chunky, yet surprisingly handsome, "old guy". The retro jersey and hairy legs were the icing on the bitter pill they had to swallow.

Monday was the 23/2300 Hammerfest. I thought I was bringing my "A" game...Mongo was slightly mistaken. I haven't 'Fested in a few weeks. Bad weather and bad timing have prevented Mongo from riding any serious hills in some time. I definitely paid the price. The only way to train for hills is...to ride hills. Period! Though I came in feeling pretty good, I lagged on the big climbs but I pulled it all together for a solid Sprint...finishing fourth or fifth by a whisker at the line. On a sad note...Mongo did find two hair-line cracks around two eyelets on the rear wheel of his Ksyriums. FUUUUUUCK!!!

Mongo got out today for the first time since Monday. The weather was in the 70's and I got in a mid-afternoon, belated, thirty mile recovery ride on the bike without the cracked rim. FUUUUUUCK!!!! A young kid on an old Specialized with suicide shifters was the only one who tried to make a move on me...but I wore him down on a long, 21 mph climb.

No comments: