Monday, October 26, 2009

The Final-Final 'Fest: Happy Endings And Maybe The Swine Flu

Mongo has been on the verge of getting sick for about ten days now. Luckily, I have the immune system of a landfill raccoon...so whatever is trying to bring me down can't seem to get a foothold. The bad news is that I'm in a perpetual state of feeling crappy.

This hasn't stopped Mongo from riding. I had a great day Sunday on the mt. bike, with several smackdowns and an exploded peloton to my credit. I had to chase another stoplight jumper into a group of about fifteen riders. Just when he thought he could tuck in and rest, I attacked and it was on. Four or five guys went with me but I never looked back...and after a mile or two there was no one left.

Tonight was the last "official" 23/2300 Hammerfest of 2009. About ten of the faithful showed up to finish out the season in style. Mongo had two things going against him this evening. The aforementioned sickness and...I rode thirteen miles before we started. I should have saved what little energy I had.

The usual shit happened...I dragged on the climbs(this time really badly because of breathing problems), and I managed a solid fifth place finish in the Sprint.

It's been a great year of Hammerfesting with a really great group of guys and gals. Though the skill levels vary from Pro to Cat 5, everyone has benefitted from riding together this season. I look forward to next year.

No comments: