Thursday, December 2, 2010

Fun And Games Until You Break A Spoke


Today had the potential to be a really great day of cycling. Though Winter has finally taken hold, Mongo's unlimited combinations of layerings and coverings make it nearly impossible for me to use weather as an excuse for inactivity. Finally, afters years of trial and error, I am able to ride fairly comfortably, in dry conditions, down to about 25-30 degrees. Fahrenheit, baby!

It was in the sweltering 40's today, and since I was feeling pretty good, Mongo decided to do a solo loop on the 23/2300 Hammerfest course at a moderate yet brisk pace on the newly monikered, BRB (Brilliant Red Barchetta).

I hadn't seen the fellas at the shop in a while, so I stopped by on my way out. Tom and MC-Lean(TM) were working hard, mostly on their own bikes, and even "Hawaii" Clay made a rare appearance and hung out for a while. The talk turned to shitty roads, broken spokes, and miserable rides when Tom recounted an in-town ride yesterday. Mongo triumphantly exclaimed, at some point during the conversation, that I had had zero problems with my AC Hurricanes since they were trued-up after my bad crash several months ago...Less than thirty minutes later, Mongo was standing on the side of the road with a broken rear spoke!

Ain't that a bitch?!... Mongo gave MC-Lean(TM) a ringy-dingy, and an emergency pickup and delivery was made by the Broom Wagon...at breakneck and life-threatening speed, I might add. Once back at the shop, the spoke was replaced, the wheel trued, and while there, even a couple more visits by team members, "Danimal" and "I'm not racing Masters" Andy.

Though my day in the saddle was short, I was feeling good. I'm looking forward to seeing how my performance shakes out at the highly competitive, "Enemy Bike Shop" ride on Saturday morning.

No comments: