Sunday, December 30, 2007

Snake River 2: Electric Boogaloo

There are two ways that any serious cyclist can think about their bike. The more pragmatic look at their ride, no matter how expensive it might be, as a collection of parts...nothing more than a tool in the cycling experience.

The rest of us connect with our bikes as an extension of ourselves. At the very least, we apply human qualities to these inanimate objects. We defend their foibles and tout their accomplishments. They become important to us.

Today when I was dismantling my Specialized(which cracked on the downtube/bottom bracket weld) to send back to the factory for replacement, I was saddened by how this bicycle slowly transformed in front of me from an old friend to a thing. As each component was removed, it lost a little bit more of it's soul.

I'm looking forward to my new frame...I don't like having a collection of parts.

No comments: