Thursday, June 24, 2010

Resting On My Laurels...Not So Much


"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
(Greg Lemond*)

"It never gets easier, but you sure as hell can get slower."
(Mongo Pusher)

I came to the realization today that even though there are minor, legitimate excuses for my poor riding as of late, the main reason is that I stopped giving that extra effort needed to maintain a relatively high level of competitiveness. I was in better shape in February, coming out of a winter of dedicated training, than I am now in the heart of racing season. That ain't the way it's supposed to be.

So...today Mongo got back to work. The first order of business is to drop some weight and lose some fat. This requires disciplined riding in a HR zone between 125-140. No exceptions...no smackdowns.

After stopping by the shop and chatting with "Soon to be Cat 3" MC-Lean and "Soon to be Cat 3" Shady, Mongo hit the S.C.T. near dusk and put in an enjoyable 42 miles smack dab in the middle of my targeted HR. I've got some work to do to get back to where I need to be, but I'm sick of struggling and I'm not f***ing around with my diet anymore..."I'll Be Back!"

* (Greatest American Professional Cyclist)

No comments: