Tuesday, August 17, 2010

This Ain't No Joke



Mongo is in a serious cycling slump. Over the past few weeks I have ridden a total of three times with a combined mileage of about fifty...And believe me, it shows!

Considering I normally put in around 150 miles per week just to keep myself in the middle-rear of my local peloton, this minuscule effort has brought about catastrophic results.

This past Sunday I took out LPE for a "comeback" ride of about 40 miles. After about 20 miles, and being smacked down by two tri-douches who normally couldn't carry my chamois, I went home beaten and disgusted.

I really don't know why I even attempted to do the 23/2300 Hammerfest on Monday night. After all, nothing about my recent effort and training pointed to me being successful. I think the fact that I skipped the week before due to the same lack of preparedness made me determined to give it a go...Bad idea!

Only a few miles into the ride my HR was through the roof. At a point in the course where my HR is usually around 155, it was at 175...and we hadn't even started the first serious climb. I knew that pushing on would only lead to misery, so I was forced to abandon the ride. That really sucked and pissed me off.

I know what I've got to do... The answer is simple but the process will be hard.

No comments: